Singapore-based financial blog that aims to educate people on personal finance, investments, retirement and their Central Provident Fund (CPF) matters.

Monday 13 January 2020

Your HDB is like a Call Stock Option


What is a Stock Option:
Before we begin, you need to understand what is a stock option first.
So here's a link to help you understand what is a stock option.
Continue reading after you understand what's a stock option 😉.

TDLR (Too Long Didn't Read) of a Stock Option
A stock option is a 'contract' that lets you buy a specific stock at a specific price by a specific date.
Eg; I pay $1 to buy a stock option that allows me to buy 1 Microsoft share at $50 before August 2020.

Scenario 1: I exercise my stock option
I can exercise the stock option to buy the Microsoft share, and my total cost of the share is $51 ($50 + $1).
It makes sense to exercise my stock option when Microsoft's share price is above $51 (eg; $52) because then I can sell it straight to the stock market and profit from the difference.

Scenario 2: I don't exercise my stock option
But if Microsoft's share price remains below $50 by August 2020, I will let my stock option expire, and I will lose $1 that I spent buying that option (cost of the stock option).

Scenario 3: I sell my stock option
I can also sell my stock option to other people in the market that are interested in it.
Eg; if Microsoft share price rises to $52, people can bid for my stock option for $1.50 (they can then exercise the stock option, sell the stock, and profit $0.50).
If I sell to them, I will earn $0.50 without going through the hassle of buying to exercise my stock option and then selling my shares to the market.

Recommended Read: CPF LIFE in the Year 2020

How is Owning an HDB like Owning a Call Option?
  • There is a time value to both HDB and Stock Option
    When the stock option reaches its expiry date, it becomes worthless. Before that date, however, there is a value associated with it.
    The same can be said for HDB also before it reaches the end of its 99-year lease, it has a value to it. Once it reaches the end of the 99-year, there is no more value to it.
  • You can sell your Stock Option or HDB to reap a profit (or loss)
    You bought a stock option for $1, after some time the price of the stock option increases to $2 before its expiry date. You can sell the stock option to earn $1 in profit. Similarly, if the price of the stock option drops to $0.50 and you sell it, you will incur a loss of $0.50.
    The same can be said for HDB as well, you can buy an HDB for $500k and sell it for $600k after 10 years and earn a $100k profit. You can also sell it for $450k 10 years later and incur a $50k loss.
  • You own the Stock Option or HDB, not the underlying asset
    In the case of a stock option, you own the stock option and not the underlying stock (the asset) the stock option is tracking. Eg; you buy a Microsoft stock option, you do not own any Microsoft share as a result, you merely own the stock option that allows you to purchase the Microsoft share.
    For the HDB, you own your HDB, but not the land it is built. 
  • The Difference?
    You can exercise the stock option to buy the underlying stock (eg; Microsoft). But you cannot exercise your HDB to buy the underlying land. Once the 99-year lease is up, there goes the HDB. So you either apply for Lease Buyback Scheme before the end of your HDB or sell it to someone before your 99-year lease expires.

Are there any other similarities that you have spotted between HDB and a Stock Option?
Let us know in the comments below 😉

Recommended Read: What is CPF Enhanced Retirement Sum (ERS)?

Remember to offer your opinions. If you don't put your two cents in, how can you expect to get change?

Have feedback? Tell us now!

Subscribe to us or
Follow us: Investment Stab on Facebook


Unhappy with your job? There's something you can do about it.
A. Save up enough money from your job so that you can fire your boss - the problem is it might take some time and some effort
B: Find a new job, search for new opportunities. A career coach might be able to help you with that. And if you are looking for a free career coach, visit Workforce Singapore via the link below.
They can link you up with the career coach and you might be able to find new opportunities on their jobs portal.
http://ow.ly/GY8150wlfrF
Share this :

0 comments:

Post a Comment